So, last week I pulled out my trusty shovel and went to work. The soil was comprised of dried baked dusty clods- so I've dug in good amounts of compost. I ran out of time, though, so it's been left exposed with weed-block fabric and helpful hens spreading piles of mulch. I'm looking forward to filling it in next week with plants designed to thrive in hot dry spots- such as purple homestead verbena and creeping germander with silver ponyfoot. That should combine well with the purple bee balm and gomphrena already in place!
If I didn't mind clashing I'd plant lantanas since they have been popping up all over the yard- some on purpose and some as volunteers. All the volunteers are "Confetti"- they seem to thrive in the driest and rockiest of spots.
As for chicken updates, last year's "girls" are laying and the flock has two more additions (thanks to an irresistable group of chicks at Buck Moore Feeds).
Cheep (they were even on sale..)