Friday, March 28, 2014

Food-a-vore..

I went to Boggy Creek Farms this morning to get some inspiration and satisfy my sensory cravings for the smells and sights of a farm. They just started to get strawberries (limit 1 pint per customer!) so I bought some for the boys. I stocked up on gorgeous Romaine lettuce, spinach and multi-colored carrots as well as sugar snap peas, and got some chevre from WaterOak farms. The fresh eggs looked gorgeous (including a couple of mint green Americauna eggs), but I controlled myself (since I already had a dozen from Vital farms)..

When I got home I opened the fridge and faced the other veggies I'd gotten earlier in the week (and ignored every evening, eating pizza at soccer practice and having dinner at my mother's house instead). I am far more likely to cook foods that are already prepped, so I cleared counter space and spent the next hour or two cleaning, chopping and prepping the veggies above as well as kale, broccoli, potatoes, grapefruit and celery. Then I cooked up a mess of
 treats to leave for Carl and the boys for when I went to work...


Spinach, romaine salad with Ruby red grapefruit, carrots and chevre.. Surprisingly still in the fridge when I got home! I get to eat it tomorrow which makes me happy enough.


Beef and mushroom stew, with kale snuck in as well as a couple of errant tomatoes and more carrots. This was in the middle of the cooking, it simmered down further thru the day..


Kale chips (half a bunch of kale cooks down to nothing!). I ate it all before dinner since none of the boys like them.


They might not have eaten the salad, but the blueberry muffins were a hit apparently..

As for the garden and chickens, all seems well. I have a blue iris blooming up front and daffodils in the back, and Ruby and Red are hanging in there, cold and all.

Nature is more impressive- the bluebonnets are out in force, and I need to get out to the Wildflower Center (or the Hill Country) in the next few weeks to enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment