Monday, July 7, 2014

A trip to the Wildlife Rescue Center

I found my cat with a teeny white winged dove fledgeling in his mouth the other day. It hopped around and hid behind a tree stump when Toby dropped it, so I picked it up and took it to the Wildlife rescue Center on MLK. I think the fact that it couldn't fly saved it- it just wasn't that interesting to my feline.. It was pretty cute curled up in a crate in the car..


Unfortunately now I have Stevie Nick's song "White Winged Dove" in my head.. 

While at the Rescue Center I saw this interesting guy in a crate getting ready to be reintroduced to the wild..

He's a porcupine! I thought they lived in cooler climates, but there are some native to Texas- The yellow-haired porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum) is found from the western half of the state east to Bosque County. It is adapted to a variety of habitats and, in recent years, has expanded into South Texas. Porcupines are expert at climbing trees but are as much at home in rocks as on the ground or in trees. The position of the quills can be a good indicator of the porcupine's mood. When the animal is relaxed and unafraid, the quills lie flat, hidden under a layer of long guard hairs. If the animal is disturbed or threatened in any way, the quills stand erect and the porcupine is ready for battle. The slightest touch on a single quill or guard hair also brings them erect, turning the creature into a living pincushion. This guy looked a bit wary, so I kept my distance!

Finally,  I found a fun late-bloomer in my native wildflower patch:

Chamaecrista fasciculata - Partridge pea is an annual wildflower that fixes nitrogen like other plants in the pea family. It’s flowers attract bees and butterflies. Seed pods are eaten by gamebirds and songbirds, and the plant provides excellent cover for gamebirds and browse for deer. Leaves collapse when touched, giving rise to the common name Sensitive-plant.

Happy gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment